The 5 am scarf


Isn't it amazing how some things remind us of someone from the past! Especially if the things are associated with your childhood.

Like when I was a little girl, every morning I would wake up at around 5 am to go downstairs with my dada (grandfather) to purchase milk from the local Aarey Dairy booth. We used to stay on the 4th floor and we did not have a lift. But when you are young, you have all the energy to run up and down several times! Even during winters, I would insist on going.

The fragrant Crinum Lily (Image Source - Wikipedia)
It's a faint memory, but I remember that parents or grandparents would nicely tie a scarf to cover my head and ears. It became something like a ritual. I would wake up all exited. Someone would tie a scarf on my head and then I would hold dada's hand and run down the stairs. First we would collect the milk bottles (back then, there used to be glass milk bottles in an easy-to-carry rack after standing in a small queue). Then we would take a little walk in the area and collect the lovely flowers dropped on the ground.

Those Crinum Lily and Raat Rani (Night Blooming Jasmine) flowers have become a fragrant part of my childhood memories. Even now, if I come across them, they take me to a sweet trip down the memory lane.

Do you have such little things that remind you of some lovely childhood moments? I would love to read about them!

I am participating in The Write Tribe Festival of Words 8th – 14th December 2013 and have written this post for the Day 1 of the challenge.

I invite you to Like the Facebook Page of all my blogs and popular posts.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful... everyone has a scarf of their own... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do. Jasmines remind me how amma would neatly make those flowers inot a veni, early winter mornings remind me of having Hot Horlicks on cold Mysore mornings and so on.
    cute post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anu, I read your post right up to the last word. Your post is a cute memory of your childhood. I can imagine a little girl with a scarf running down from the fourth floor with her dada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. memories of childhood are precious indeed... nice post

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Night Blooming Jasmine!!! It's been over 2 decades since I saw one. A lot of childhood memories attached to the flower!

    By the way, good start to the 7 posts in a row. Thumbs Up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, that's beautiful memories of the lil girl and enjoyed reading:)
    www.vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely memory. I can feel the energy and exuberance in your words. You created it very vividly and filled me with warmth and smiles. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can almost visualise a small girl in scarf now. :)

    Smells are by far the best triggers of memory for me. Like smell of baking fresh bread reminds me of my school bus. There was a bakery on the way and early morning baking smells coming from them were heavenly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh. Those beautiful frozen memories..

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a lovely memory to share! Made me smile!! :)
    I remember going for walks with my grandfather too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice post! I love these flowers, they are so b'ful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The glass milk bottles with the thin aluminium caps...right??? We used to collect the caps and make garlands out of it and make the colony dog wear it. Such fun childhood memories are. Beautiful memories! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember the Aarey booths and the glass bottles. It all seemed so economical then. Now we have plastic that we keep throwing away. I say bring back the glass bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simplistically beautiful.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cute way to connect memories! I had this purple dress which got burnt eventually through a bad iron. It always reminds me of the endless parties my parents took me to :-) It was always my first choice as dress...

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for your lovely comments! I am sorry, I could not reply individually. Down with fever, lost a day on the challenge so will try to catch up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by my blog! If you have reached the comments section, I presume you have read and liked what I wrote. So please feel free to comment on how you liked this post.
Of course, there is a possibility that you found the first few lines too boring / incorrect / disagreeable that you decided to jump to the comments section and give me some piece of your mind. See, that is why I have moderation on comments ;)
Hehe! Hope to see you around.