I know it sounds silly, but I was a kid then. I loved Anand's character that was always so bubbly and happy. More than that, I loved how much everyone loved him. There was something about the way he spread happiness and stayed happy even when he knew he was dying. For me he was Mahaan, and as kids, Mahaanta always inspires us, right?
Now we wish for so many small and big things all the time:
"I wish I manage to catch the 8.34 local train!"
"I wish I reach home early today!"
"I wish it rains today!"
"I wish it doesn't rain today!"
"I wish the househelp comes early today!"
"I wish I can buy this big a house!"
"I wish I have a good hair day!"
Not all our wishes come true, but unfortunately for me this one stupid wish of having a unique disease was fulfilled. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (here's how you pronounce it). It's been almost three years now if I calculate from the time I visited a doctor and described the symptoms.
No, I won't die due to Fibromyalgia... thank God for that! But I will have to live with pain until I am alive. Please don't feel sorry for me as I have accepted it and am managing my life with it. And also, that is not the purpose of writing this post. The purpose is spreading awareness about the condition.
The way lymphosarcoma of the intestine had a commonly known name Cancer, Fibromyalgia doesn't have any commonly understood name but is always misunderstood. In fact, it is also known as Invisible Illness. Rightly so, as people with Fibromyalgia do not look sick. If you meet me you will not notice that I have a medical problem. You will not notice that I am having excruciating pain all over my body even as I talk to you.
here), I need the support of bloggers. I have created a blog on Fibromyalgia Awareness. Please take some time to go through it and understand all about it.
I am not asking for monetary contribution as there's no surgery required, since there is no cure at all. So you can read on ;)
I am requesting you to join me in spreading awareness about this unique condition. This will serve a two-fold purpose:
- People will know what Fibromyalgia is all about. They will understand that we are not being lazy or unreasonable, that we seriously cannot do certain things which they can do like preparing the morning cup of tea / lifting shopping bags / working full time. This is really necessary as it affects our personal and work life more than you can imagine.
- People who might have Fibromyalgia but have never heard about it can understand the condition and report their symptoms to a specialist. So there won't be delay in starting the treatment. Here, you must know that there is no sure-shot way of diagnosing it; Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning several tests are done to rule out other conditions before it is established that one has this Fibromyalgia. So it takes a lot of time. The sooner one starts, the better!
- Talk about Fibromyalgia with people you know.
- Join the Facebook page of the blog and share it on your timeline. Who know someone somewhere on Facebook might benefit!
- Contribute a Guest Post on the Fibromyalgia Awareness blog - your views / fiction stories / posters / anything you wish.
- Follow the Twitter handle and retweet the tweets you like.
- Follow the Pinterest board; Repin the posters you like.
- Share your ideas to help me spread the word.
PS Do not ever wish to have a particular disease with a unique name... you never know at that very time someone up there grants it!